Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Top 5 assumptions not to make about me.

For those people who meet me for the first time... Just because I am an Asian and I am studying medicine, it does not mean:
  1. That I am smart. Please don't assume I'm smart. And don't tell me I'm so smart because I do medicine. That is a fallacy.
  2. That I work very hard, and put marks above all else.
  3. That my parents made me do it, or I'm in it for the money, lifestyle, power, or guys. Or that I am in it because I'm Asian and it's one of those innate Asian things. I consider the sacrifices of doing medicine great that none of the perks forementioned are worth it (even the guys).
  4. That I know everything.
  5. That I know why your head/back/shoulders/joints/abdomen are achy these few days. Do not ask me why you're tired, or why you're sleeping more/less than usual. Know your own body, go to a doctor when necessary.

I met some people recently who I'm so sure thought that they knew me after just knowing what I study. It is very annoying, such that these days I only tell ppl that I'm a "student" and only say medicine if asksed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just searching for gamsat related stuff and found your blog. It's pretty neat. And about those assumptions....

1) Um you are smart. Hello? You're doing medicine!
2) You're right about this one - people can't assume this.
3) I'm semi-asian so I know how you feel. I'm gonna be sitting the gamsat on Saturday and then hopefully get an interview at UQ. And, no, it's not because of my parents, etc!
4) Take it as a compliment.
5) You are going to be a doctor after all, so if you don't know now, you'll know some time in the future! By the way, do you know why I'm feeling anxious and nauseous before the big test?

Sida said...

Good luck for the Gamsat!

I have an entry in this website somewhere among the personal junk for tips for the interview and gamsat...

Neon_stamp said...

LOL.
Can I assume all of those things because I've known you (albeit barely) for a few years.

Sida said...

Dear Stacy:

I would like to say that you are not permitted to make assumptions about me. But, as you say, you have known me for a number of years. Therefore any opinion that you hold of me, is no longer unsubstantiated assumption, but is based on your own experiences. Not that I completely trust your (or ANYONE's) evaluation of me. Furthermore; be warned. If I catch you telling me that I'm so smart because I got into Med, you of all people, I shall be very irked indeed.

Sida