Sunday, February 18, 2007

Miserere Mei, Deus

I changed the "Sing for the moment" to "Miserere Mei, Deus", the great chant by Gregorio Allegri. Laudate Dominum by Mozart is beautiful, but the sound was of a poor quality and besides it's time for a change.

I don't usually make a blog entry about changes in music and in 'verse of the week', but I feel I must explain myself, seeing as I think that Gregorian chants written in the 16th century is probably not everyone's cup of tea. But be open minded, listen to it, with the volume nice and low. It's a beautiful piece. (Keep listening to it, there is a wonderful soprano bit in the middle.) I don't usually like chants myself but I make an exception for "Miserere Mei, Deus". (When the going gets tough, there are two circumstances in which I can have a good cry, one is listening to this chant, the other is sitting infront of the piano (which I play badly) when no one else is home).

Miserere Mei, Deus means "have mercy on me, O God", the first verse of the Psalm 51 (which is also a beautiful piece). Allegri wrote it for some part of the long complex Catholic mass, and some pope along the line liked it so much he declared it must not be played anywhere outside of the Sistine Chapel at the appointed time. Transcription and copying of the work was forbidden.

The story follows that Mozart, at age 12, in 1770 (a few hundred years down the track), visited the Sistine Chapel with his father Leopald during Easter, and heard the Miserere. That night, on returning to his lodgings, he wrote the entire piece down from memory, returning later with it hidden in his hat to make minor corrections.

Ok, well, I just felt like sharing that with you. Next time I will put something contemporary on, really.

No comments: