Thursday, September 13, 2007

Getting through the year...

It is now 4 weeks til the end-of-year exams. I have 4 weeks now to revise 30 weeks of content, memorise the drugs, micro-organisms, stuff like that.

I havn't really started yet. In fact, I am putting it off, by blogging. As you can undoubtedly see. I'm being scared by the people around me: they are all better organised than me, smarter than me, and have started revision already. I was putting it off, thinking I could get away with it...

I just want this year to end, so I can go on holidays and sleep all day. My enthusiasm and motivation (which I had at the beginning of this year) has decreased exponentially - the only thing that is keeping me going (ie, staying in med, studying) is my inertia. We all know that in physics, motion caused by inertia eventually ceases due to friction. How the heck am I going to get through the rest of my degree?

I must here devote a little paragraph in gratitude to my bible study group. Those kids are wonderfully unsympathetic - and they make a joke about everything. I made a comment about dissection lab and they didn't stop joking about it for 3 weeks. They force you to laugh at yourself, at those around you, and at your situation. Although my bible study leader keeps telling me that there is no point in trying so hard to get into medicine and then let it get you depressed. I think my problem is that I'm not depressed enough - if I'm depressed at least it will make me motivated to get my act together.

Ohhhh wells. Back to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don’t stress too much Sida….. I’m currently reading a book about studying medicine and becoming a doctor and there was a section on doubts. It was talking about how most med students, early on in their degree, start wondering whether they can cope academically because they are unsure about how much work they should be doing. So you’re not alone! I’m sure there’s an infinite amount of things you could be studying and revising on and I don’t think any *sane* human could cover everything that may be tested :o Just remember that you were smart enough to make it in to med, so you are capable of getting through the degree!

I guess it’s good that you have commitments to things other than medicine so that you won’t be thinking about it all the time. The book was saying how some people get burnt out & over-stressed just getting through the degree that by the time they are doctors, they’ve lost all the excitement and ideals they had about the career when first joining med school. So don’t get depressed (yet)….. save it for your mid life crisis! I’m sure if you keep a realistic perspective, you’ll be able to handle the stress & get through med school just fine (ok it may be easy for me to say because I’m not in your position, but I hope it’s helped you feel better!).