Monday, January 15, 2007

update

It's been ages since I wrote in here. And do you know, the longer I put it off the more I want to put it off. At this rate I will loose all my readers, if I havn't already, and if i had any to start off with.

A lot has happened since I last wrote, as is usually the case with long periods extending over Christmas. My church's Christmas concert was a success in my view, in particular the item in which I partook in. But then a mother always thinks her child is beautiful, so the audience may have felt otherwise.

I also went on a week-long road trip to Airlie Beach, which on the coast of Central Queensland, about two hours north of Mackay. It is about 14 hours drive from Brisbane. On the road, and cruising around the famous Whitsunday Islands, I realised how beautiful God's creation is, or at least God's creation in Australia (hehe). The Great Barrier Reef, in which I have scuba'ed before, and in which I only snorkeled this time, was particularly breath-taking. I also realised that an 8yo boy does not shut up unless he is asleep. There were times, in the long car ride, that I felt like gagging him for some peace and quiet. When I tell him to stop talking, he hums. Nothing like hearing the Twelve Days of Christmas over and over and over, days after Christmas is over. As he begged to go to the toilet, I toyed with the idea of leaving him there. But of course we didn't: he knows our address and so will probably find his way home again (along with a Today Tonight TV crew) anyway.

Nothing remarkable has happened since I came back, except now I'm on the 'casual' list now for work, which means I have short notice to come to work but I get paid a lot more than before. I went to see Joyce Meyer this weekend too. I have never been to a conference of this sort so I really enjoyed it. She really is a great speaker, very stirring. In fact I personally think that she speaks better than she writes. (Joyce Meyer, by the way, is a famous Christian writer from the USA). I didn't make it much past the 2nd chapter (or thereabouts) of her Battlefield of the Mind, but I suppose I will pick it up again.

It is quite easy to hear her speak, and clap and say "amen!", and quite another to come home and apply it. I will try, of course.

I start uni next week. I feel like my holidays have been much too short, I only have one week left. There were many things that I'd intended to do which I'd not done yet, which I can't be bothered to do now. (Admittedly, these are mostly to do with partying, but still.)

In a week's time I will be a med student.

3 comments:

me said...

First of all Happy New Year Sida and all the best for 2007.

Airlie Beach and in fact the whole of Australia is truly beautiful place and sometimes you feel like your breath would stop by seeing all the magic in places like that but we need to make sure that this wonderful God's creation won’t be lost forever, because that would be also our own loss…and the time is running out.

Sida said...

Happy New Year to you too, think_next.

Speaking of environmental concerns, I think the Great Barrier Reef would be one of our greatest losses. It is like another world down there - and indeed it IS another world, a world that doesn't belong to us, but to the fishes. And to think that we are destroying someone else's world...

Interestingly, after passing hours and hours and hours of forest and bushland, the cane fields are also beautiful, with their orderly rows and lush colour. Rural Queensland is a place of quiet, unassuming beauty.

me said...

It’s not only Great Barrier Reef but the whole world. Weather patterns on our planet are dramatically changing.

January is for an example the coldest month for central Europe where temperatures can go as low as -20C or more but generally always below 0C. This year it is +5 to +12C and sometimes during the day even +20C or more. Animals are confused; flowers and trees are flowering (rather than to be covered by the snow and resting). Significant changes are happening on levels to us not yet visible. In fact the whole ecosystems are being completely destroyed because it is becoming increasingly difficult to adapt to the new environment.

Deadly storms are sweeping through north-east of US and in Malaysia over 100,000 people had to be evacuated from their homes because of heavy rains over the weekend causing massive floods submerging whole villages. Victoria is claiming the worst bushfire conditions they have ever had in Victoria's history.

By 2048 there won’t be any seafood in world’s oceans (if not earlier), availability of clean drinking water is shrinking every day and yet we only complain about profit losses while happily releasing EVERY DAY over 70 000 000 tons of CO2 into the Earth atmosphere created as a by-product of very inefficient way of power generation and transportation so necessary for our luxury lives causing global warming that is directly endangering all living species on this planet including us humans.

It doesn’t seem to have any logic but then when you listen to one old man (Gandhian activist, environmentalist, philosopher and leader) who dedicated his life to making a difference in the world, you wonder.

He said: “Today we have so much thinking, very little action and no feeling. So the modern man…technology has created a monster with a big head feeble hands and no heart.

Use your head for creative thinking your heart for compassion and your hands for honest action and then you can bring…if there is any heaven…you can bring that heaven on the earth.”