Thursday, November 01, 2007

Farewell is such sweet sorrow...

I'm going to Kingaroy next week for my end-of-year elective. To those of you who don't know, Kingaroy is a small-ish town about 3 hours drive from Brisbane. I'll be living at the Nurse's Quarters next to the hospital, and the elective lasts for 4 weeks.

I'm not sure if I am going to be coming back to Brisbane for the weekends. Most probably, but it would depend on what I feel like. If I don't come back, I'll probably die from boredom. If I do come back, it's 6 hours of driving each weekend...

I doubt anyone cares, but this probably means that I won't be updating the "Quote of the week" and "Verse of the Week" columns for a few weeks. Or indeed this blog at all.

Hopefully when I come back I would have some photos to upload, hopefully of Kingaroy and the surrounding areas (if I bother to venture around). I'll be passing Wivenhoe dam on the way so if I'm not in too much of a rush I'll stop and take photos there. But chances are I'll miss the turn-off...

The difference between going away and staying in Brisbane is that, in Brisbane, if I have a terrible time or a terrible supervisor, I can come home, away from the hospital, and leave it behind. Over there, I'm living in the Nurse's Quarters, right next to the hospital. And I'm by myself. I pray, for my sanity's sake, that my supervisor is a nice person. He sounds alright, although when I called him yesterday, much to my amusement, he appeared to have forgotten that I was going to come.

Oh well. Back to packing. I'm packing a small library of books.

2 comments:

Anne Miller said...

Welcome to Kingaroy! Thank you for sharing your skills with us. Kingaroy is 2.5 hours from Brisbane but you'll find there's plenty to do here at weekends to... like have a meal at a cellardoors, bushwalk in the Bunya Mountains etc etc. You can't miss Wivenhoe Dam as you'll drive right across the top of it (if you come via Esk) but unfortunately you can't stop there to take a pic. Hope you enjoy your stay!!!

Carolyn said...

Great to read you will be with us for some weeks. Call into the Kingaroy Information Art and Heritage Precinct and check out what there is to do and see in the Kingaroy region. On our door step is the Bunya Mountains National Park with native wildlife you can interact with as well as the largest stand of Bunya trees in the world. Look forward to meeting you