Monday, September 01, 2008

Some updates

I realised I have not blogged for a long time, over a month in fact... there was no specific reason, I've just been busy... so busy that I have not had a chance to stop and realise how much I've got to complain about.

Our beloved School of Medicine (note sarcasm) has let the 2nd year medical students have a week off this week. I guess if they didn't do that they would be accused of unethical conduct. It certainly wouldn't reflect well upon UQ if someone wrote a scathing letter to the editor of some newspaper... or indeed if some acopic medical student jumped off a tall building.

This week off isn't a holiday as such, it just means that we are not forced to attend any lackluster classes, which means all the more time to catch up on study. Having given some thought to the list of things I have got to do this week, I am now feeling pressured enough to blog.

Alright that's enough complaining about med... in life, things like med happens, and you've just got to deal with it, one day at a time if necessary. (Such wise words from someone who is wasting her time blogging...)

Apart from med I guess my life is going along as per normal... in other words, at a halt. It's rather pathetic the way med takes such a large chunk of my life. I have not seen my friends in weeks (those friends outside church that is), I have to turn my brother down when he says "can you read with me", and romance is a mythical concept that happens to other people. Well actually the lack of romance I can't entirely blame med, there is also my caustic sarcasm and lack of conformity to the attractive stereotype of gentle femininity. Hmm, perhaps I can blame those things on med too...

Good grief, I'm complaining again. I'd like to say that I have so many things on my mind, but in reality I have very little, and a great chunk of it is med. Med assessments, to be precise. Med is great fun, if only there were no assessments.

I was the interpreter again this Sunday, my second time. I wouldn't say it went well, but I guess it was not a complete disaster. People seem to think that my stumbling block is my nerves, when in fact my stumbling block is a defective brain. (A friend in med once said that others think that he is a genius simply because he is in med, and he wonders what will happen when people find out that he's no different to others of his age. As for me, the sooner they find out the better. But for some reason many people are still unconvinced... I don't really understand why they must be so stubborn about it.) I suck at it, but even then I have not made any funny memorable mistakes (which is rather sad). My mentor, who has been doing this for years, once said while up on the podium that a colostomy links the intestines to the bladder. Unfortunately only he and I got the joke.

Speaking of my mentor, I was really quite annoyed with him yesterday. When other people are just starting to be an interpreter, he sits in the front and prompts them if there are words they don't know how to translate, or to simply smile encouragingly and supportively. Not so while I was up there. Each time I looked at him, he was looking elsewhere, and it became apparent that he was avoiding my eyes. (I mean, no one stares at the ceiling like that, unless they are taking a Bachelor degree in Ceiling Studies.) When I came across difficult words, I have to guess. According to him, he sees me being nervous, and that makes him nervous, and so he looks away. This reasoning is defective for two reasons - firstly, no one cares if he is nervous, and secondly, if he doesn't help me it will make me even worse. I decided to not argue with him, but in the true female spirit, I remained annoyed. (Even though I like to think that, unlike the stereotypical female, I had logic and reason on my side.)

In the end I decided that it matters very little, because I was supposed to be relying on the grace of God, not the grace of The Mentor. He can take his Bachelor of Ceiling Studies with Honours in Looking Around Nonchalantly, and it won't make any difference... I have God on my side, and if there are words I can't translate I'll just flash my oh-so-charming smile. Ha! Take that!

Hmm, it appears I have ran out of things to complain about. Except to say, I have a craving for calamari. I really don't know where I get these cravings from...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Sida,

Sorry if this come across a little awkward. I was googling gamsat and I came across your blog. Read it, interesting and particularly helpful.

I am 33 year old and intending to try sitting for the gamsat. Would like a few advices from you, if you have the time.

Wondering if one needs to equip with all the commercially available prep books, e.g.gamsat pre, des o'neill, etc as they are all so dear. I am only on minimal wage working part time at the moment.

Hope to hear from you at kplaumps1@hotmail.com

Thanks heaps

Regards,
KP LAU

Rebecca said...

Hehe what a coincidence Dave..... I found Sida's blog searching for Gamsat too! I'm studying med at UWA now - and to answer your question: no, you don't really need the expensive gamsat prep books like Des or Medprep. There is a forum for med school hopefuls at http://pagingdr.proboards61.com/

It's very very very very extremely useful and the people there will help you if you ask (I don't post there anymore, but still visit occasionally).

Anyways just thought I'd drop by to see what's up Sida! I was bogged down with uni stuff and thought I'd procrastinate and ended up here......

Anonymous (no longer)

Rebecca said...

Hey again Sida :)

Yeah it's kinda different at UWA as we have do to a bridging course this year, before joining the undergrads in third year (next year) - which a lot of people are not looking forward to as it'll be the 19-20 year olds vs us oldies! [So it works out to be 5 years].

We've been focusing on anatomy, physiology and biochem mainly this year + stuff like Aboriginal health, biopsychosocial (sure you know about bio-psycho-social-cultural-ethnical-mental-physical-political-moral-economical model).

Haha and I've had quite a couple of random comments like "come work for my blog".....ok.... So your comment fits in perfectly!