Sunday, October 01, 2006

On trying to 'save' people

I know I have not been a Christian for long. I have only been baptised a couple of months. I have no authority by which I can tell people about the gospel and lead them to God.

But I think that evangelising isn't really about reasoning with people, or trying to prove the existance of God by some reason or logic. It is really more about leading people to feel god's prescence so that they are convinced by their hearts and not by their brains. That is what I have always believed.

And so, in my blundering, naive way, I thought my experience, my testimonial, is enough.

One of my friends has been going through some problems. Despite owning what I believe is if not a brilliant then at least an above-average brain, he failed university subjects several times. He is plagued by family issues and also some poor life decisions. I've tried helping him before by offering practical advice - how to concentrate to study, how to save his earnings, etc. Now, as a Christian, I see him in a new light. This person doesn't need my help, I thought. This person needs the Good Lord. So i initiate a conversation with him on MSN messenger.

Within two sentences into the conversation, he starts to tell me about his want for sexual experimentation. He says "you probably don't want to hear about it" then proceeds to tell more than I was interested in listening to. I did not help him find a focus for his life. I did not show him there was more to life. I did not tell him about my own experiences or my testimonials. I was just flabbergasted. I realised I was well and truly out of my depth.

My pastor once said "finding God is like finding a diamond mine. You want to tell everyone this great source of wealth you have found".

This is so true. Everyone I meet, all my friends, I think: how troubled they are! How much God can change their lives! If only! If only they were open to Him... And then, of course, comes the frustration.

The person who helped me out of my frustration was a Muslim friend. Despite our difference in faith he'd often give me encouragement when I felt disillusioned, sometimes from passages from the Quran. He told me that the choices people make, it's their own choice, and I can not help them. I can help those whoes hearts are open to God, but not those who made their choice already.

He did make me feel better, although I am not sure if he is right or wrong. How can I not try to show my friends the diamond mine?

No comments: