Sunday, May 06, 2007

quick post

Just a quick post.

I am aware that right about now, many people across Australia are waiting for their Gamsat results (or maybe they have already received it... I don't know.) Anyway. I wish everyone all the best - unfortunately not everyone gets high results (otherwise the results won't be considered high), but if you didn't, then you will come to realise that the added year you get to work on it is really a blessing cos you can relax for another year. I don't think the GAMSAT is about intelligence, and am always the first to try to convince people that I'm not smart. (They seem easily persuaded to believe that I'm not smart. Is this a good thing?) I think that getting into medicine is more about perseverence. (AKA: too dumb to know when to give in.)

Special best wishes to my friend Teresa, who probably doesn't even know about this blog, to Aung, my anonymous reader, and to the-guy-I-met-at-the-supermarket-checkout-but-forgot-his-name. Hope to see you guys in medicine next year.

On my side of the world, I am doing fine. No, I lie. I have a feeling of impending doom. But I will be okay. The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

Finally, I just want to share something I read by Philip Yancey AGES ago but never got around to posting it:

"For some reason, I find it much easier to show grace and acceptance toward immoral unbelievers than toward uptight, judgemental Christians. Which, of course, turns me into a different kind of uptight, judgemental Christian." - Philip Yancey, in his book Reaching for the Invisible God (Zondervan, 2000)

Hehe, I guess I am an uptight judgemental Christian too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sida it's your 'anonymous' reader saying thanks for the well wishes! We get the results some time next week (depending on what ACER determines 'Mid May' to be).

Sida said...

oh yeah, that's right. I remember now. Boy, I sure don't want to be in YOUR shoes right now. I remember when it was MY turn; I ended up getting my mum to open it then call me at work to tell me.

Mum: "I got your results today..."
me: "Oh! Tell me tell me tell me!"
mum: "So what do these numbers mean? Which section of the exam is the first number?"
me: "Just tell me what it [the number] is!"
Mum: "The first number is... let's see..."
Me: "You're killing me! Just read them all out!"
Mum: "The first number is 68... What does that mean?"

And so it went, my mum telling me each part of my results one by one, asking me "what does that mean?" each time. She read out my results slowly, with little contemplatory comments, as though she were reading a newspaper article. But eventually, the message was relayed.

Anonymous said...

We just got the 2008 admissions guide, so it's a pretty exciting time now! We get our results online this year now!!

Your gamsat scores were great, and you couldn't have fluked all 3 sections, so you can't be as dumb as you make out to be Sida..... Maybe you're just really good at convincing people, or something?! I wouldn't even 'classify' you as a 'dumb'-smart-person!

Anonymous said...

Bad news Sida.... I only got 57 in my gamsat so no UQ or Griffith next year :(

I really hope I have enough strength to keep trying, but right now I'm spent. Anyways, good luck with your studies and your upcoming exam (I heard UQ had mid year med exams coming up)!

Sida said...

From what I can remember, 57 was MY score first-time-round too. I felt quite spent and deflated as well, and thought that I'd never get in.

But really, you have lost nothing. You have gained experience for next year. While medicine isn't for everyone (it's a long and ardous journey from here, I'm afraid), don't give up just because of the selection process. Have a rest, enjoy the rest of your year, start studying again towards OCT/NOV, and concentrate on the bits you had problems with this time.

And if you have questions, you know that I am willing to help. Although, to be honest, I don't know of how much help I CAN be.

Yeah, UQ exams coming up.

I don't want to talk about it.

Anonymous said...

I'm feeling better about it now and will surely draw some inspiration from your story (I thought you got this super-high score on your first go).

My weakness going into the gamsat was definitely the essays, and I had been practising a lot before the test, but still managed to fail (49, hehe). I just can't seem to be able to whip up 2 essays in 1 hour - I had a hard time finishing the 1 high school QCS essay in 2 hours (but ended up getting an A overall, wtf!).... so I'll definitely be trying to improve on that. It's quite embarassing actually, because English isn't even my second language. Do you mind if I ask what your S2 score was first time round & how did you improve? From what I've read on your blog, you seem to be able to write fluently & your personality shows through your writing, so I guess you probably did well in your essays both times!

Apart from S2, my S3 score was only 56 so I guess that needs work as well. I made the mistake of not looking into organic chem as deep as I should have. I hope you don't mind me ranting on your blog.

I just pray I'd be able to scrape in an interview this year (as I read that UWA will interview failures) and use that as practice for next year.

Sida said...
This comment has been removed by the author.